Mounting Your TV to Improve Your Home Décor
In recent years, mounting your TV on the wall has become a popular trend due to its combined aesthetic and functional benefits. Furthermore, a wall mounted TV can be seamlessly incorporated into various design styles, allowing homeowners to showcase their personal style while maintaining a cohesive and balanced look throughout the room.
What are the Benefits of a Wall Mounted TV?
There are several benefits to mounting your TV, including:
- Aesthetic appeal – mounting your TV can create a sleek and modern look to a room, eliminating the need for a bulky TV stand, freeing up floorspace, and giving the room a more spacious feel
- Space optimisation – wall mounted TV’s are particularly beneficial for small living spaces, allowing for better furniture placement and a less cluttered look
- Viewing experience – Mounting your TV offers improved viewing angles and comfort. You can mount one at a height and angle to satisfy your personal preferences.
- Safety – Mounting the TV keeps it safe from spills or bumps and can provide safety for homes with small children that might knock over a traditional TV.
- Cable management – Wall-mounted TVs often come with built in cable management solutions or the option to hide cables behind the wall.
Choosing the Right Wall Mount
There are several types of wall mounting hardware, and choosing the right one will help to ensure proper installation, stability, and the optimal viewing experience.
- Fixed mounts – these are the simplest and most affordable wall mount. They hold the TV flat against the wall without any movement or tilt. They’re well suited to rooms where the viewing angle doesn’t need adjustment.
- Tilting mounts – these allow for vertical adjustment of the TV to optimize the viewing angle. These are particularly useful when the TV has to be mounted high on the wall, as over a fireplace, and they allow the TV to be tilted downward for a better viewing angle.
- Full motion mounts – these mounts offer the most flexibility. They allow you to extend the TV away from the wall, tilt it vertically, and swivel it horizontally. These work splendidly in rooms where the TV needs to be visible from multiple seating positions or when you want to adjust the angle according to your preference.
When choosing a wall mount, take in to consideration the stud locations in the walls, the type of walls you have, and the ease of installation. Also factor in the TV’s size and weight to make sure you make the right choice.
Placement and Height Considerations
There are a number of factors to consider when selecting the optimal height for mounting your TV:
- Room layout – Assess the overall layout of the room including furniture placement, available wall space and any architectural features that my affect the viewing experience.
- Seating arrangement and eye level – Determine where viewers will be seated in relation to the TV. The center of the screen should be at eye level when seated to prevent straining your neck and to allow for comfortable viewing.
- Optimal height – If you’re mounting your TV above a fireplace or other architectural feature, you won’t have a lot of choice on height, but if you use a tilting or full motion mount, you can adapt to this. If you don’t face that restriction, you should mount the TV at a height that centers the screen at the eye level of the seated viewers.
- Adjust for furniture and viewing angles – Make sure that the TV is positioned in a way that allows for an unobstructed view from various seats in the room. If you have a large room or multiple seating areas, use a tilting or full motion mount.
- Lighting – Minimize glare from natural light by mounting the TV perpendicular to windows to minimise the effects of glare from the sun. Manage artificial lighting by making sure that the lights don’t reflect on the screen. Dimmer switches or adjustable lighting can help to enhance the viewing experience.
Concealing Cables and Wires
To maintain a clean and clutter free look in your room, you’ll need to hide the wires and cables around your TV. This will create a clean look to the installation, will prevent tripping hazards, and will protect the cables from damage caused by pets, children, or accidental tugs. There are a few different ways to go about this.
- Cable management solutions – this consists of a number of different types of products including cable raceways, wire channels, cable sleeves, and cable clips. These allow you to bundle and route cables neatly
- In-wall routing – If you have the ability to handle a bit of DIY construction, you can run cables through the walls by creating a small opening and using specialised in-wall cable management kits.
- Cord covers – These are plastic or fabric sleeves that encase and hide cables. They’re available in a number of styles and colours to match your décor and are great for running cables along the floor or walls were in-wall routing is not an option.
Integration with Surroundings
Integrating a wall-mounted TV into a room’s overall décor is a great way to create a cohesive and visually appealing space. Here are a few ideas that can help:
- Gallery wall – surround the TV with carefully curated collections of photos, artwork, or decorative items.
- Frame the TV – use decorative frames or artwork to frame the TV itself. Choose frames that harmonise with the surrounding décor.
- Floating shelves – use these below or beside the TV to hold small decorative items that will complement the rest of the room.
- Furniture and accessories – consider the style and finish of your TV and choose furniture pieces that will complement it. For example, if your TV is sleek and modern, continue that look in the room with your furniture and accessory selections.
Safety and Installation Tips
When mounting your TV on a wall, safety should be of the highest priority. Make sure the TV mount is securely fastened to the wall, avoid overloading electrical circuits, and ensure proper ventilation around and behind the TV. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to ensure the product is installed correctly, as failure to do so could result in hazards such as electrical fires, equipment malfunction, damage to the TV, or personal injury. If you’re at all uncertain about how to mount your TV, it’s best to seek professional help.
Wall-mounted TVs offer several benefits for home décor. They create a visually appealing look by eliminating the need for TV stands or entertainment centers, they save floor space, and they create a comfortable viewing experience for everyone in the room. Mounting your TV on a wall can transform your entertainment are into a stylish, space-saving, and functional focal point.
If you’re ready to explore the possibilities of a wall mounted television, check with the professionals at James Wilson TV Aerials. Our services include a free initial consultation where our engineers will explain to you the full range of options available to you. We will complete your installation and leave your home as clean as we found it. We carry a complete line of products designed to enhance your viewing experience and have a strong focus on customer service. In addition to TV wall mounts, we can help you inside your home with everything for your TV up to and including a complete home cinema.
Get in Touch
For more information about the products and services we offer, visit our website, or if you’d like to schedule your initial consultation, give us a call at 0800 001 4212. We look forward to meeting you!